Scandroid - Monochrome


(FiXt 2017)

Scandroid is the synthwave pseudonym of Klayton, a professional video game music composer who is also known for his Celldweller project. Celldweller is sort of nu-metal meets Skrillex at the mall to buy some Manic Panic hair dye. Scandroid, I guess, is Celldweller meets Gunship.



First thing you notice about Monochrome is that it sounds more expensive than your average synthwave record. This is not something made entirely on free software on their laptop by someone googling "how to EQ" a day before release. It sounds like it was made in a studio by someone who knows what they are doing.

That's the best thing I can say about it. I get no feels from Monochrome. In fact, to me it sounds calculated, like the marketing plan was drawn up before there were any music ideas. It is totally forgettable, a mashup of cliches made to be consumed rather than listened to.

At the end of the day I rather listen to something made entirely on free software on their laptop by someone googling "how to EQ" a day before release, if it is genuine and personal. I do not judge anyone for liking something I don't, I just don't like this. At all.

Score 3.0

Comments

Popular Posts