The G - Cosmopolis


(Timeslave Recordings 2017)

This is the second album I have reviewed from new label Timeslave Recordings, and I am again impressed. Cosmopolis is a nostalgic album with a sort of sci-fi road trip theme. It is also quite diverse. At times it is romantic and at other times dark and brooding, but it all flows together naturally.



Cosmopolis starts off with "City Lights," which made me think of a skyline rising into view when approached by car. It is followed by the much darker "Shadows in the Neon Rain." This one has a noir-ish quality that reminds me of Chromatics. Both are extremely good, as is the harder hitting "The Dome." I am also partial to the album's collaborations. "Stars That Fade" is a cyberpunk ballad that features Vandal Moon on vocals. The other collaboration, "The Color of Television," features Vampire Step-Dad. It is pure romantic nostalgia. Both are excellent, but very different.

The second half of the album, in my opinion, isn't as strong as the first. I don't think there is a bad song on Cosmopolis, exactly, but the two title tracks are a bit lackluster. I just didn't have the same emotional investment in them as with some of the others. Then there is "Last Exit," which is the album closer. It is certainly atmospheric enough, and so delivers a counterpoint to the more inviting "City Lights." However, to me it feels like it is missing something, something I expected but which never appears.

Cosmopolis is still one of the better albums I've reviewed for this blog, or heard in the past few years. It has great atmosphere and presence, and doesn't just reproduce a popular sound in the genre. It is also well-produced and not too loud (thank the heavens). Most importantly, it evoked a strong emotional reaction from me. Fans of Timecop 1983 or Lazerhawk's Visitors will probably connect with this one, like I did.

Score: 9.5

Comments

Popular Posts