ALEX - X


(Playmaker Media 2018)

ALEX is one of the few artists not in France to self-consciously draw on previous traditions of '80s nostalgia in electronic music. This is something I've always appreciated about his work, and often find myself wishing that more producers would do the same.



The album X, for Belgium's Playmaker Media, is something of a departure for ALEX. I'm not exactly sure how to classify it, or even if I should try. It is synthwave at times, most notable on "Broadway," which features Laura Currie on vocals. This is also the album's high point. Another is "Tick Tock," which borders on tech-house. The other track I enjoyed was "Paranormal," which is quite dreamy.

As far as the rest of the album goes, though...I guess just not sure what ALEX is going for. It sounds like a a collection of outtakes from a stronger album, or unfinished works in progress that were rushed out the door before they could be properly edited.

Score: 4.0

Comments

Popular Posts