Night Raptor - Night Raptor EP


(Self 2017)

There are a few things I want to hear, ideally, in a synthwave release: great sounding synths, strong production values, good compositions, and some unique twist on the genre. With the opener, "Flashback," Night Raptor EP promises to deliver all of that.


The EP's first four songs are all equally strong, and showcase some range. "Flashback" and "Shoreline" are slow and moody, evoking the ambient music of the '90s as well as 80s synth soundscapes. "Crashland" is an uptempo burner, while "Goliath" is like a sci-fi ballad. All have great presence and feeling.

I am less enthused about the collaboration with Starforce and the remixes that round out the EP. Actually I think the Stilz remix of "Golliath" is okay, but I prefer the original version. The NightKhat remix of "Crash-land," on the other hand, fatigues my ears. Thankfully the rest of Night Raptor EP bucks the trend of overly loud, un-dynamic mixes. So that gets a big thumbs up from me. I look forward to hearing what Night Raptor has in store for us in the future.

Score: 9.0

Comments

Popular Posts